Sunday, February 26, 2012

As humans, we should always be asking ourselves how we can make something better, efficient and more sustainable. The science of biomimicry can do exactly that....
What is biomimicry? First of all its genius! Biomimicry is the science of using ideas from nature to create or remodel products/services to make them more sustainable [10]. Evolution in every living creature from animals and plants, to bacteria and viruses has been working towards making a more sustainable organism. Humans can borrow the sustainable ideas that animals have perfected for millions of years to create a product that would not only be healthy to the environment, but one that the organism would be proud of. Biomimicry is endless; the answers to some of human’s biggest problems are out there modeled in nature in an organism’s form, processes, systems and strategies [1]!


The field of biomimicry is still vastly untouched- engineers and scientists all need to take another look at products that are already out there to make new, sustainable versions using biomimicry. When designing a new product and looking for how to incorporate a particular trait, chances are nature has already perfected that trait- you just have to look.

1 comment:

  1. This topic has always been very interseting to me. I think it is wonderful that you chose this for your project and I hope that it gets some much deserved attention. If I may, there is a book called "The Geckos Foot" that you may find interesting, it is chalked full of information on up and coming products and test with in this field.
    I Think you did an excellent job formatting your site; it is very user friendly and easy to read. i would love to see more examples of this topic though, off the top of my head I can think of the desert beetle (not sure of its actual name)that is being looked at is regards to arid water collection. Also, nano fiber was based around the idea of spider webs, using the gecko as a model for tape..there are tons that I cant think of at the moment. You definitely don't need to include these in your blog, but if you feel like adding more there are a couple of ideas for you. keep up the good work!
    Ashley Seegrist

    ReplyDelete